Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Word of the week - Drinjjjury



Decided each week needs a new word.

This weeks word is.... (drum roll)

Drinjjjury (pronounced with a definite slurrrr)

Definition: Injury caused by excessive imbibing of alcohol (or other mind altering substance)

Examples of Drinjjjuries:
  • Bruised tailbone the size of a small country the day after my 30th.... completely un-noticed til I came to (I won't even pretend I woke up that morning) and went outside to sip cold fruity orange juice in the sun... plastic chairs on decks are not meant to be instruments of torture
  • Sprained ankles...... will have to go with the infamous Sugar Shack nightclub birthday spectacular. After a classy evening on complimentary Bacardi Breezes on arrival, complimentary champagne for a few hours, then dive straight into $2 Vodka Diet cokes this night was never going to end daintily. Add in little enough self consciousness to enter a dance competition, and somehow managing to win the prize (thanks to my extremely loud whooping and hollering by the Sexbomb, Princess & the Minibomb (and their bribery to some nearby drunk/whoopy/hollery boys)... a $50 drink card. Just what I needed. Staggering out of the club many hours later, a few friends less (they gave in, I was busy in conversation with some random people by this stage) I went to the magical hole in the wall to withdraw money to pay some poor sod to taxi me home when a crack in the concrete jumped up and ripped my ankle out from under me and my sizable ass landed on top of it. I was rather distressed at this point (not that I didn't appreciate the assistance of 'grey shirt' who we'd been checking out earlier) by the fact that I was extremely drunk and could feel the pain. Six weeks later when I finally got off crutches and my foot had finished doing it's best impression of a cabbage patch dolls foot I named this my best drinjjjury to date. Oh how we all laughed at me.
  • Sprained ankles 2 & 3... similar theme. It's Minibomb's fault... drinking with her in public brings out the worst in my crappy ankles... Actually father can add about another 3 of these drinjjuries to this list and my aunt a broken ankle caused by falling off a bar... we're a close family in many things.
  • Multiple random bruises in inexplicable places... Living End mosh pit... how the hell someone bruised the bejeebus out of my sternum like that I'll never know. Even the bruises from Skaed dragging me out of the pit (to ensure I didn't die in many sweaty squishy armpits) were impressive. Could almost see the fingerprints on my arm.
**emails a link to the Oxford Dictionary to petition for inclusion**

3 Comments:

Blogger Melly` said...

Apparantly it is a medical acronym to write.. PAFO - pissed and fell over on our charts.

Normally (but not always) my greatest injuries and pain are from sober injuries.

Obviously I have to try harder?

4:35 AM  
Blogger LuSh said...

Maybe it's related to the relaxed state of the body when one has been imbibing. Hence I had to leave out my fall backwards down the stairs in Glebe as I was so relaxed all I did was scratch my ankle on a rosebush (tho did call Non-emergency ambulance to report my PAFO and they came to tell me to take some pain killers, drink water and for gods sake go to bed)

6:14 AM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Cabbage Patch Doll foot..

I so love your colourful vocab Lish !

Write more.. write more we say !

and ermm.. I've dislocated both my ankles too.. so I hear your pain !

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home